I have always felt that intelligence is a totally individual thing. Trying to teach someone without playing to that person’s strengths is not effective and a time waster. Once you start tapping into what you are good at the world then becomes your oyster.
We need to encourage educators to buy into this – it will raise the confidence of learners. It will inspire hope.
As a mother I am trying to see the unique strengths of my children and then play to those strengths. I also look for opportunities for use our free time with playful time that will play to these strengths.
For myself, I try and play to my strengths as much as possible – let’s say 75% of the time with the remaining 25% dedicated to living outside of my comfort zone … although, interestingly enough sometimes playing within your strengths could still be outside of your comfort zone. I do think that the majority of your time should be spent doing what makes you feel good so I always try to be aware of that when I am working throughout my day.
Being an entrepreneur allows me this luxury. I can carve out my time to do what I love as much as possible. When I learn I feel inspired and try and apply it towards being a better person and hopefully giving some greatness back to the world. Even if just a little drop in our big existence.
Some Resources to Play to Your Strengths:
What Kind of Smart Are You?
I came across this info-graphic while on twitter. I hope you might find it helpful in tapping into your learning style and your strengths.