Whether you a self-employed or working for a company, networking is one of the critical skills you need in today’s work environment. Here are 10 tips to keep in mind.
- Build relationships, not the record for handing out the most business cards.
- Focus on the other person not yourself. Smart networkers know that networking is about showing interest in the other person, not showing an interest in yourself.
- Be the host. Offer to host. and make sure you are welcoming. Offer to get drinks, make introductions and put people at ease.
- Give. What goes around comes around. If you give of yourself people usually want to help you in return.
- Make an effort to get out and network. Rule of thumb is to get out to 4 events per month.
- Look, listen and learn. Take time to learn from others that you consider good networkers.
- Approach only 1 person or a group of 3 or more. Entering a conversation with two people speaking can be more difficult.
- Check in regularly with your network. Keep in touch with your network. It is easier to reach out when in need if you keep in regular contact.
- Introductions make the network go round. Freely introduce individuals who might benefit from meeting each other.
- Don’t assume or Judge. You never know who you are talking to, what they do or who they know. Never assume and give everyone a chance and treat them equally.
Content courtesy of: DBM