When I think of spring I always think of green. Perhaps it’s the renewal of life around us as the ashen tones of winter slowly recede. My energy surges and my mood lightens as I turn my attention to the possibility of growth and the fulfillment of new intentions. This shift in seasons and perspective conjures feelings of freedom and hope!
Wool sweaters, heavy tights, scarves and hats rotate to the back of my closet while lighter fabrics and looser shapes shift forward. Dresses welcome me again as I feel inspired to pile on a couple of extra bracelets along with a few too many delicate rings.
I’ve never been drawn specifically to trends but I do cultivate a list of my desired purchases for each season. Herein is my list of must haves for Spring 2015!
- Always, I save space for an investment piece courtesy of Isabel Marant. This year I’m torn between her super cool Bart sneakers (hello Stan Smith update!) or a beautiful gypsy dress in silk georgette. Thankfully, Zara and Aritzia are showing a strong collection of Bohemian inspired dresses at a fraction of the price in various lightweight fabrications that feel so right!
- I’m constantly searching for men’s style trousers with just the right amount of slouch while remaining fitted through the waist and hips. This year I’m drawn to a more sports-inspired look as found at Joe Fresh, Free People and Isabel. Think old-school Adidas track pants updated in a refined yet casual fit and fabrication.
- New tights equal renewed focus on the bike or at the gym! The running crops by Lululemon in a fatigue print or Joe Fresh’s print yoga tight have my undivided attention.
- Truth be told, I’m contemplating culottes this spring. Zara did great faux leather ones for winter and this season they have a cool variation in beige cotton-twill which feels versatile and of the moment. I’ve also fallen in love with the lovely Cauchy pants by Wilfred with their wide, drapey flattering fit!
- J’adore stripes and with each season comes a new striped tee. This spring I’m coveting a classic long sleeve by iconic French brand St James. It should work well with my old-school fisherman’s cap while dashing thru the raindrops of April…
- I’m always searching for new (or old) ways to up the denim ante in my wardrobe. 6397’s denim jumpsuit has been in heavy rotation all fall and winter and everywhere I look these days other brands have matched this perfect slouchy shape and fit. Think NSF, the Gap, Zara or H&M. My other denim ‘must have’ is an old pair of perfectly distressed yet fitted Levis hemmed just above the ankle for the perfect silhouette.
- My list would not be complete without a pop of vibrant colour. So in honour of Pantone’s colour of 2015, Marsala, I’m seeking the perfect woven bag. Isabel’s étoile Janae bag seems just right to me!
…I could also mention that I have finally decided to design my own essential wardrobe of key pieces for Spring-Summer 2015 but that would be another story. In the meantime, feel free to check out my Pinterest board to see all my picks including a couple of kathryndaw items!
You might also like:
Follow Women in Biz Network ‘s board #WIBN Feel Stylish on Pinterest.
Kathryn is a consultant offering brand storytelling, and client services in the world of design and communications. Most interested in connecting the dots of authenticity across various brands and companies as they emerge and lead within today’s changing landscape. Her work is anchored in a response to voices that are genuine, accountable and unique.
A fashion designer too, Kathryn is happiest moving for the benefit of the bigger picture. She’s a great listener. She’s a seer of the details. And she has a knack for weaving pieces together in a most stylish way.