Brandie Weikle, a long-time parenting editor, writer and spokesperson, is the founder of The New Family, a blog site that examines and celebrates modern family life. Formerly the editor-in-chief of Canadian Family magazine, Brandie has also been the parenting and relationships editor for the Toronto Star, founding editor of two Toronto Star websites, and an editor for Today’s Parent. Brandie is a single mother of two in Toronto and a frequent television and radio guest on parenting topics. She is also the director of the ParentsCanada Group Blogger Network, where she connects brands and bloggers for sponsored blog and social campaigns.
How can your experience or your business help fellow conference attendees?
I’m happy to leverage my 20-year career in journalism to help other business women think about effective ways to work with the media. Also, my website’s can call attention to other businesses by featuring them in the popular blog series, the 1000 Families Project.
What do you hope to take away from the conference?
I’m relatively new to full-time self-employment and hope to take away some tactical wisdom that can help me achieve that balance between paying the bills and managing one or more purpose-driven business pursuits.
What do you think is our greatest social problem today? Any suggestions to solve it?
Income disparity. I’d like to see our city provide better transportation for people living in the inner suburbs and our province provide universal childcare at a reasonable cost so more people can access opportunity and stay out of poverty.
What is the most inspiring book you have read?
It’s hard to choose just one. I got a lot out of Sheryl Sandberg’s Lean In, but also recently enjoyed Gretchen Rubin’s latest, Better Than Before, which has a lot of valuable wisdom on habits.
Brandie Weikle is attending the #SocialforGood Conference
About the #SocialforGood Conference
If you are a socially conscious individual, entrepreneur, corporation or non-profit organization you can’t afford to miss this conference! Please join us for two days that will evoke conversation, initiate ideas and inspire creative solutions to spread social good in your community and workplace.
#SocialforGood will have you dive deeper then you ever have before and will address:
- What a #socialforgood movement is and why it even matters
- Can a business really make a profit while doing something that makes a difference? Yes! Learn how!
- Ideas and beliefs by change makers and sought after experts.
- We will explore why investing in women is the world best social strategy
- Creative solutions to inspire change in your life, workplace and business
- How to Bring Authenticity and Integrity to Your Business
- How Creating your Business Creates a Whole New You
- How to raise money for your social business or cause
- The best ways to spread your message: Video, podcasts, public speaking, social media and more