Slow Cooker Butter Chicken
Author: Ricardo Cuisine
Recipe type: Slow Cooker
Butter chicken or murgh makhani is an Indian dish of chicken in a mildly spiced curry sauce. It is served in India and abroad. The dish has its roots in Punjabi cuisine and was developed by the Moti Mahal restaurant in Daryaganj Delhi, India.
- 3 tbsp (30 g) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 3 lb (1.3 kg) skinless, boneless chicken thighs, each cut into 4 pieces
- ½ cup (65 g) cashews
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh ginger
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and diced
- ¾ cup (180 ml) 35% heavy cream
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) tomato paste
- ¾ cup (180 ml) plain Greek yogurt
- Cilantro leaves, to taste
- Salt and pepper
- In the slow cooker, combine the flour and spices. Add the chicken and toss to coat with the flour mixture.
- In a small food processor or with a mortar and pestle, finely grind the cashews.
- Add the nuts and the remaining ingredients, except for the yogurt and cilantro, to the slow cooker.
- Season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook on Low for 4 hours. It can be maintained on Warm for up to 4 hours.
- When ready to serve, stir in the yogurt. Garnish with cilantro leaves. Serve with Indian-Style Pilaf and naan bread.