We are often asked how we built a community of 18,000 women so fast. The answer is we spent a lot of time focusing on relationships and a whole lot generous giving. Specifically we spend a lot of time connecting in – person and online over the things that truly matter to us.
We asked what mattered and here is what we heard.
Long term happiness doesn’t come from short term gains or getting to the next level. Once we as a community started focusing on how we wanted to feel then making the decisions to get there became a whole lot easier.
Here are a few of the feelings you hoped you would feel while achieving your goals and livelihood:
Here is what we do build our community specifically:
- We give lots of opportunity for in-person connections – you need to meet in person at least once to truly feel connected
- We connected over the things that matter with our community online – Twitter being one of the biggest winners using our hashtag #WIBN to have chats. Recently we have started weekly twitter chats talking about the important issues that challenge our members
- We write – lots of writing to gain clarity on issues that matter to us
- We are honest about how life really is for us. Without honesty where are ?
- We look for creative ways to support one and other and believe in the power of collaboration (it always trumps competitive paranoid battles)
- We look carefully at trends and data within our community so that we can do our best to serve our community in the most meaningful ways possible.
- We learn from our mistakes and always look to improve and grow in our decisions as we build community
Some of the Tools we Use
- Facbook (Fan page and private groups)
- Online Membership software (Wishlist)
- WordPress with lots of cool plug ins
- Online shopping cart (We use Premium Web Cart currently)
- Our smart phones are the life line to being nimble and responsive to our community (TelusBusinsess is our provider)
- SageOne (to bill our sponsors)
- Contactually (to keep track of our conversations)
- We connect with amazing women – bloggers, business owners, sales women, contractors …. then list goes on and on
We offer consulting and outreach services on how to build a awesome, passionate and influential community . Please ask us how we can help. Building relationships with people is a dream job and we feel proud, lucky and honoured to do just that!