I hate to be the bearer of bad news but here you go. Summer is coming to an end. The end of summer usually signals a shift from taking it a little easier to getting back in the swing of things. Kids are going back to school. Co-workers are all back in the office.
But what about you? The entrepreneur, the business owner, the intrapreneurial employee? How do you make a painless transition from R&R to being back into the business swing of things?
How about some Inspiration?
There is no rule saying you can’t be inspired on the job, in fact, I say there should be a rule saying you MUST be inspired to be at your best personally and professionally.
- One way is to pick up a new book for personal or professional development. If you are feeling bold, pick up one of each – EACH MONTH! That is a sustainable practice to continually be feeding that beautiful brain of yours and being inspired at the same time. Consider partnering up with your co-workers or friends to create a reading club or book sharing if you don’t want to get into the buy-read-shelf routine. OR after you have finished, pay it forward and give the book to someone!
- Remember that piece of art you can’t take your eyes off of? You know, that painting, print or sculpture that has been calling to you. Maybe you have some art inside you just waiting to be created (hint: everyone does!) Pick up that piece, create your own art or maybe Art. Not sure what type of art to invest in? Not sure if will go with your flow? No worries, rent some! Try it out. If you love it! BUY it, if not, keep the inspiration flowing and change it up periodically.
- Anyone who knows me knows that music makes my world go round. Create some playlists to inspire, energize, calm, and exercise.
Reclaim & Recreate Your Space
A little editing goes A LONG WAY. Reduce clutter in your workspace. Remove items that don’t serve you including technology that is no longer working, ancient or taking up valuable space. Repaint your office even if it is the same color! Re-evaluate the “things” in your space. If you haven’t used it in over a year…should it really be there? Maybe you can find those things a better home! Still not sure where to start? Consider taking EVERYTHING OUT and only putting the items you enjoy and need back into your space.
Perhaps a Little Education?
Take a course! Is there something you have always wanted to learn for personal development? What about a new business skill or something that can be put to work for your business right now? We are happy to get you started at Sandbox U! Learn at your own pace or with a group! Whether you need to develop your skills as a media maven, your marketing strategies to market and launch your products or services or need to determine what idea to invest in (you may be on to the next big thing) we’ve got the tools to get you started.
Don’t forget personal development! Take a course that enhances the other, non-business side of you. Look online, get recommendations from your network or consider your local community center or college to search for a class that will allow you to continue to develop the other great side of you.
Don’t forget Connection!
Use this time as an opportunity to re-connect with your customers, co-workers, business associates and welcome them back from holiday! Not sure how, host a back to business celebration to get everyone back together again and connected!
Top it off with some Self Care
September is a very busy month for business. Use September as an opportunity to begin planning for 2014, strategizing, launching, growing your business and of course a little self care! But remember, you and your business are not at your best unless you are feeling your best and operating efficiently.
- Take a Workcation: YES you just got back from vacation but maybe you need a 3 or 4 day workation to plan out the Fall/Winter business calendar if you haven’t already?
- Hire a designer/decorator, Feng Shui Master to give advice on creating a practical, functional and energy friendly workspace.
- Get to a SPA. There is nothing like a great massage, a mani pedi or a wrap to get you refreshed and rejuvenated. Invest in a little YOU time.
- EDIT your Offerings – you know all of those things that didn’t work for your business this year? Bid them adieu! If these products or services aren’t making you money they may be draining you and taking your energy away from what is important. Put these on the shelf and focus on what is generating revenue and things you enjoy!
Need some help? We love working with small businesses and startups! Let us know how we can help you get back to business this fall!